Comparing it to the G11 I have noted down the following pros and cons:
1) better wide angle (24mm instead of 28mm);
2) brighter lenses (F2.0 – F2.8 instead of F2.8 – F4.5)
4) 110g lighter;
5) about 100$ cheaper;(doesn’t seem to be the case)
7) besides the 4:3 and 16:9 it supports the 3:2 image ratio (the G11 supports 4:3 and 16:9 only);
8) better image quality compared to the G10 (I am looking forward to see a comparison with the G11).
1) doesn’t have a swivel LCD;
2) has a short zoom range (2.5x instead of 5x)
3) doesn’t have a viewfinder.
Here you can see a detailed side by side comparison:
I think I’m starting to agree with them. The 720p video is a big plus (I plan on mostly doing images but I do video from time to time) as is the other stuff.
Anyone have first hand knowledge of the LX3 and would care to provide an opinion on it? Are you happy with it? Is it’s 2.5x optical zoom a problem? This would be my only camera (I don’t own a DSLR nor do I plan on getting one).
UPDATE: I ended up getting the Canon PowerShot G11 as their interfaces are just plain awesome, the swivel screen is handy, and the additional zoom is great. For video, I picked up a Flip Mino HD so I can take 720p video. Yes, I have to carry around two devices, but I have big pockets. 🙂